Standard Admissions Requirements
For students who have graduated from high school or another educational institute within the past year, and who are applying to our certificate programs.
Education Requirements Students must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- An Alberta high school diploma, verified by transcript
- A non-Alberta equivalents
- Successful completion of the AEC Assessment test
- Canadian Language Benchmark of 5
- Student must be 18 years or older
Full-time course load, Program length
Student Aid considers you a full-time student if you:
- are enrolled in at least 60% of what your school considers a full-time course load, or
- have a permanent disability and are enrolled in at least 40% of a full-time course load
- are attending a licensed private career college in a program that is 12 weeks or longer and has 20+ instruction/practicum hours per week
Student Aid considers the length of your program when determining your eligibility. You are eligible for full-time student aid for the number of years specified for your program + one additional year.
Students with permanent disabilities are exempt from the “program length + one year” limitation.For example, if you’re in a four-year degree program, you can get full-time aid for five years. If you’re in a two-year certificate program, you can get full-time aid for three years.
Learn more about how the length of your program affects your eligibility for student aid.